Following are some answers to your frequently asked questions about TGMC. They are organized into the following areas:
-- Technical requirements
-- Deadlines, Evaluation
1. What is The Great Mind Challenge?
The Great Mind Challenge (TGMC) is a contest in India, open for students of engineering, MCA, and other IT-related courses. We’re in our ninth year now and have grown steadily over the years. Recognized by the Limca Book of Records as the largest technical contest for students, 2 years in a row! TGMC has grown in the number of students wanting to take part in it from a mere thousand since it started to 200000 in 2011 alone.
2. What is the eligibility criterion?
Any current college student in India with basic IT skills can participate. For example, students from IT, computer science, BCA, MCA, BSc, MSc, BE, B.Tech or M.Tech, colleges can participate. There is NO restriction for students from any discipline to participate.
3. Can college alumni participate?
No, This contest is for current students only.
4. Is team registration a must or can I register individually?
You can participate individually or as a team with maximum 3 members.
5. Is faculty guide mandatory for each team?
No, not necessary. But this since this edition of TGMC is on IBM Cloud i.e IBM Bluemix. You as user when you get and account in Bluemix, it will only be valid for 30 days. To get longer access of 6 months you will need help of your faculty. Your faculty has to do a registration in tgmcindia.com as faculty!
6. Can I register with multiple teams?
No. Please note that if a student or team has registered multiple times and submits multiple projects, then the first submission from them only will be considered and the others will be automatically disqualified. To avoid, this, please ensure that you participate only once.
8. Can I change my team members/faculty guide after registration?
Yes. The team can be reconfigured with the approval of other team members.
9. What do I do to make changes to my TGMC team profile?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org all the details of the changes you wish to incorporate to your team profile, and we will have it changed. Post the change, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
10. Can a team be formed with students from different colleges?
No. Team members and faculty must belong to the same college.
11. Will I be certified if I don’t win this contest?
Everyone who successfully submits a valid project will receive a participation certificate from IBM Academic Initiative.
12. Can I use this project as an academic project?
This depends on whether your college/university decides to give you this opportunity. Ask your HoD/concerned person at your institute or department about it. There are many colleges in India who allow TGMC project as academic project as well.
13. Do I get a certificate at all?
Yes. Please keep in mind:
Your project should be a valid project.
Your project should be built in bluemix and submit the project before the last date of contest (understand TGMC contest timeline for project submission and work accordingly). For More Info: http://tgmcindia.com/Register.aspx
14. Can a TGMC-certified graduate compete with an experienced IT professional?
In any field, you need to start somewhere. TGMC can be that starting point for you as a student. It will guide you toward being a professional, giving you the exposure as well as allowing you to create a professional project.
15. What is the required size of the team?
A team consists of minimum of one and maximum of three members.
16. Is TGMC more beneficial for third-semester students or fourth-semester students? Or is it good for both?
This contest is beneficial for every technical education student! Starting from 1st year to final year J
17. Do we get any certificate of experience after TGMC?
No such certificate is given.
18. Are first- and second-year engineering students eligible?
19. Is it necessary that only IT or computer science students can participate in such contests?
No. Students from any branch/stream/discipline of study can participate as long as they have the capability with some IT skills.
20. I am well versed with IBM technologies. Can I start working on the project directly?
21. Will the Bluemix access provided by IBM be a fully licensed version or a trial version?
When you first register to Bluemix, you will get trial account for 30 days, but you can use all the services in bluemix. To get 6 months extension of bluemix account, you need to get your faculty to register in tgmcindia.com.
22. What will happen if one team member quits in the process? Do we have to inform any authorized person or simply add a person to finish the project?
You can do either. But you must create a team group and add/delete team members there.
23. Is it possible to increase the size of the team at any point in order to complete the project as per the deadlines?
Yes. You may increase the team size to a maximum of three at any point. Please ensure that you update your team’s profile as outlined above.
25. Can I withdraw from the contest if I wish to?
We'd be sad to see you go, but at any point during the contest, if you decide not to participate and no longer want IBM or its representatives to contact you, you may do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.Please note that even if you withdraw from The Great Mind Challenge, you can continue to enjoy these services. It simply means that we will not use your contact information for TGMC, and you will be considered to have withdrawn from the contest.
26. Is there a guideline to form a team?
Team members, must be from the same college. All members must be Indian nationals residing in India. Any violation will lead to your team being disqualified. If you still wish to participate, please re-register as a new team, ensuring that all members are from India and the same college. This is applicable only if registrations are still open.
31. How do I sign up for Bluemix?
You can sign up for Bluemix here at ibm.biz/tgmc2015
33. What is the duration of this TGMC?
Registration end date is 31 March 2016
34. Is there a physical location to submit the project?
No. This application challenge is purely virtual. All submissions will be on the CLOUD!
35. Do I have to sign up for Bluemix to participate?
Yes. Signing-up for Bluemix is required to participate. You must host your app on the Bluemix platform to be eligible.
36. Do I have to use fresh code?
Participant can formulate and plan their ideas beforehand, use new or existing code; as long as you use the Bluemix platform to deploy your app!
37. What should my project be about?
We are not restricting students to work on specific themes or project ideas. This platform is completely opened for your innovation and creativity.
38. Where do I submit?
Please check Project Submission tab to understand the submission steps or process.
39.How can I deploy an Android or iOS App on Bluemix?
You can check on the bluemix docs tab for every service you want to use.
https://www.ng.bluemix.net/docs/# 41. I have lots of technical questions, where can I get answers?
Here is a library of topics that will answer almost any technical question you may have. Visit https://developer.ibm.com/bluemix/support/
1. Why should I register for TGMC and what are the key benefits?
Participating in TGMC will help enhance your skills and ensure that they are mapped to industry demands.
It offers you an opportunity to work with the world's leading IT company.
It provides easy access to free training on high-end technologies.
Your academic project can be cloud project (If your institute & University allows to do so).
You will be a “Cloud Application Developer”. This will expose you to latest technologies.
2. Will participating in TGMC be useful for students during the development of their careers?
Yes. Participating in TGMC helps students master the industry-standard technologies, which are acceptable worldwide. This enables them to be market-ready with the expected IT skills.
3. Does IBM help us in getting placed with a reputed IT company?
IBM indirectly helps you by providing an opportunity to be a part of the talented pool of skilled resource with visibility to industry personnel. No direct placement with IBM will be possible. But we suggest that you upload your resume if you are IBM Professional Certified as that will help you to apply to IBM eventually.
4. Does the project done for TGMC have good CV value?
You must showcase your work in your resume. It definitely holds value if your resume goes to any of our business partners, or even otherwise, as this contest is well known in the relevant circles.
5. Is there a possibility of enhancing my communication and interview skills while participating in TGMC?
Participating in TGMC enables you to work in collaboration, which is the primary requirement of today’s work environment. Also, participants will be interacting a lot with peers, faculty members, and others. This will enhance your communication skill set. If you are a winner, you will be required to meet several jury members and evaluators from IBM and business partners. This will give you that extra edge to communicate with people at different levels in the professional circuit.
6. What is the validity of the IBM certificate? Is it valid for all IT industries?
A certificate as a contest winner and special mention has no expiry date. It is valid for all IT industries.
7. What are the Award Categories for TGMC 2015?
Top 3 Winners
Top 20 teams (Includes top 3 winners)
Top 3 all girls team
Top 50 performing college award (minimum 1000 students participation from the college)
Top 50 faculty awards
1. What’s the process and how do I log in or register?
You need to fill the Registration form for TGMC 2015. Once you submit the form a confirmation mail will be sent to the team, there by confirming your registration.
2. Is there a joining fee?
No. There is no fee or cost involved to participate.
3. Do I need any approvals before I start working on my project scenarios/projects?
No. There is nothing stopping you from starting work on your project scenarios/projects. We suggest you start as soon as you finish team registration.
4. Will the mode of training be online or offline?
It will be online. However, if there is a large number of students/teams from one particular college, we may consider conducting a training session at your college.
5. Is there any training support from IBM?
Yes, we can help with a training session of half a day or one day. This session cannot be for individual team or student. This training session will be for your college, and we have minimum participation criteria for an institute. If your institute meets that criteria we can come and do the session. Please drop us a mail, with subject line “TGMC- Bluemix training request” to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to you with our criteria.
6. Is it necessary to work in our college lab or can I work on my project from home or a cyber café?
It is not necessary to work only in your college lab. You may work on your projects from home, college, or any other place.
1. On what platform do students have to develop their projects?
You may use any platform you are comfortable with to develop your project. Only requirement is you need to use Bluemix to develop your application and have it hosted in Bluemix.
2. While doing the project, which service must be used for which purpose?
You can use any service in Bluemix, depending on your requirement.
3. Can I use other cloud environment?
No, you can need to use only Bluemix.
1. Are there any deadlines for submitting the project?
Yes. Contest closes on 31-Mar-16. You have to submit your project on or before 31st.
2. What will happen if the team is not ready to submit the project as per the deadlines?
Your entry will not be accepted as a valid contest entry and will not be entered in the competition for further rounds.
3. How and when can the synopsis be submitted?
This time we are not asking students to submit your synopsis. You can submit it along with the project. See “Project Submission” tab for further details.
1. I don't have any of this software and courseware. What do I do if I need to learn about them?
Most of the services are available in Bluemix only. Everything on the cloud. You need to understand your project technical requirements and select the services accordingly and learn about it. Documentation is available for every service is available in Bluemix Docs tab.
2. I am new to IBM Bluemix& Cloud environment. Are there any workshops/training sessions that could help?
Please check question number 5 under FAQ’s related to Process,
3. Where can I go for first-level technical help?
4. Where can I get solutions for routine technical problems?
Participate in the TGMC 2015 discussion forum. Post your problems on the message board, and you will likely get a solution from IBMers or partner faculty.
6. Is there any technical online discussion forum where project-related queries can be discussed with other team members of different projects?
Yes. Visit the Discussion forum.
7. Just in case my team's project does not meet expectations, can we ask someone to help us
You can seek help from e-Mentors who are IBMers and experts thru Discussion Forum.